New SharePoint Online Link Web Part Released!
Posted by Errin O'Connor on Jun, 01, 2017 06:06
New SharePoint Online Link web part rolling out now
There is a new Link web part is starting to roll out to to SharePoint Online.
What is a Link web part?
The SharePoint Online Link web part makes sharing links to external and internal pages and documents much nicer by providing a visual and contextual preview for the link and its contents — with image, title and text snippet — right inline within the internal communication (page or news).
Just add a Link web part to your page, paste in your URL and see the magic happen!
What links (URLs) are supported?
We currently support links to (w/live examples per each type):
- Internet resources : web pages, YouTube videos, images, etc.:
- SharePoint modern publishing pages and news articles:
- Links to any documents stored in SharePoint or OneDrive for Business:
1. Can I only keep the preview and remove the URL from the page?
Yes, you can. Your readers will still be able to navigate to the linked resource by clicking on the preview.
2. Can I just keep the link and remove the preview?
Yes, you can.
3. Will all links have an image, title and text snippet?
No. This depends on the data that we are able to get from the referenced link. Sometimes the preview will only have title and text, or image and title.