10 Best Practices To Use SharePoint For Project Management
Microsoft SharePoint is among the best tools that businesses use for project management. It is a practical and comprehensive platform that can help your project management team achieve successful projects. It includes functional features that can meet your business needs.
Following are the 10 best practices to use SharePoint for project management.
Used advanced alert functions.
After centralizing your communication and project information on SharePoint, you can set automated project procedures like changing control processes through built-in SharePoint workflows. You can also allow alerts to send out reminders to project stakeholders automatically. With this, your team can see the upcoming tasks and monitor them.
Another best practice for your SharePoint project management is project reporting. It is good to set up additional views for in-progress, overdue projects, work completed, and more. Make sure to communicate to senior executives and stakeholders about the status of the project.
Your project reports may use KPIs with green and red indicator buttons to visually show the project’s status. You may also provide columns with commentary about the major accomplishments, issues, what has been achieved, and your next plan. You can group the project processes or web parts into stages, including plan, initiate, track and close. Then, SharePoint guides you and your team to manage the project.
Check out SharePoint Pricing and Licensing Options.
Data aggregation on different project sites
If you want to make the best results, you can standardize the permissions, project sites, and navigation consistency on different project sites. You can set the SharePoint ‘Task List’ to plan activities, tasks, and milestones with assignees and dates.
Establish a breakdown structure for the projects that you’re working on with different employees. You may also add lists for specific project processes for issues and risk management, change goals, requests, and more.
Use dashboard summary.
Use the SharePoint dashboard to show a summary of project status, goals, work, and more. You can use the Quick Launch to personalize the categorization and grouping of project management processes that your business use.
Use the communication tools of SharePoint.
Team communication is essential for the success of your project. So, utilize the communication tools such as Skype and other chat software to communicate with your team. It can avoid misunderstanding in your team. Additionally, you can introduce your workers to modern technology.
SharePoint comes with a ‘Project Statement’ tool to add an overview of your project, key dates, and description. It can be a reference for your team members and stakeholders to summarize your project information and understand its purpose.
It also allows you to manage your documents in a library for storing deliverables through version control, authoring, and approval workflows. You can also store documents in your company’s intranet, so your team members can work on similar up-to-date documents. Here is an in-depth article on SharePoint Document Management best practices.
EPCGroup provides SharePoint Consulting. We have over 50+ Microsoft Services experts with a combined experience of over 100+ years.
Set your goals.
Make sure to identify goals for your project. If an outside stakeholder or client is involved in your project, the external sources can help you know your goals. If you wish to track your goals, you can have a timeline that will guide you. Keep a scope of your project, secure the right resources and stay within your budget.
Use a visual timeline view.
You can have a quick view of your project with the right visual timelines. You can use programs that enable your team to access meetings, timelines, and chart details to save time.
Schedule kickoff meetings.
You can schedule kickoff meetings to set up the tone of your project. To plan the meeting, make sure to invite the right individuals and ensure the attendance of the key players. Make a well-detailed agenda of what the meeting will cover. It can help your team to understand the objective of your project.
Avoid unproductive meetings.
Meetings are important for planning your projects. However, you need to know if the meeting is good to use your time or if communication tools are enough for your project management.
By applying these best practices, you can make the best of your SharePoint project management solution. As a result, your organization can produce the best results with your projects.
Why choose SharePoint for your company’s project management?
Implementation of SharePoint for your project management is the best decision to make the best results from your tasks and projects. The following are some reasons why SharePoint is worth it for your project management.
- Task management: SharePoint can provide you with efficient features to manage your tasks and schedule your assignments. You can also simplify accountability.
- Enhance team collaboration: The platform can improve your team’s collaboration which can lead to improved productivity. Your team can easily communicate with each other anywhere and anytime through the desktop or any mobile device.
- Familiar interface: SharePoint can provide your business with a familiar interface and SharePoint Connectors. It can intuitively connect with email, desktop, and calendar workflows with Microsoft Office.
- Organize documents: The platform also allows you to organize your documents. You can find the right template or file easily with SharePoint.
- Clear progress updates and deadlines: SharePoint automatically records milestones of your project. You can have clear deadlines and progress updates. So, every team member of your business can be on a similar page.
- Understand finances for your project: With this project management solution, you can understand the financial needs of your project. You can easily access the estimates and actual expenses. It also allows you to aggregate, sort, and filter data.
- Project management features: SharePoint can be your comprehensive partner to achieve success with your projects. It has the best project management features, including web parts, lists, site collections, and SharePoint sites. It has the best tools for managing and storing documents, building external websites and intranets, collaboration, and more. Moreover, you can automate processes that can save your time.
SharePoint can be a good investment for your company’s project management. It is loaded with excellent features that can help your business to be more profitable. Do you want to level up your business’s project management? Then, it is time to use a SharePoint project management solution!